, , , , , ,

MOLIMU essentials: A History in Hats Part 1

11:05 PM


I have always liked wearing hats, even as a kid I sported a basecap on the regular. That's why I have decided to choose some of my favorite caps for this edition of MOLIMU essentials. I started collecting hats when I was a little skater kid back in the day and haven't stopped since. Even though the canvas stays the same, my choices and habits of wearing basecaps have changed quite a bit over the years as a result of changing interests and trends.

Back in the day, I started out with Mickey Mouse hats but soon switched to skate-brands like "Volcom" and "és". During my High-School year in the US I picked up on wearing New Era hats with the flat brim which was pretty unpopular in Germany at that point but has become a fashion staple since then. I have chosen to give you a little overview on some favorites in my collection as well as the story behind them. As I've mentioned before my collection is pretty extensive, therefore I will only select some of the best pieces and will split this up into two or three parts.

New Era x Seattle Caps:


When I spent a year in Seattle back in 2006 I was quite influenced by American culture and lifestyle as you can probably tell by reading this blog. Actually my interest in fashion sparked there as I got very interested in Hip Hop culture and Sneakers. This was the time when Dipset was famous and Kanye West was also was getting more and more into the spotlight. Not only did I start to wear much more colorful clothes (green and pink Ice Cream shoes anyone?), but I became really hooked on wearing baseball caps in all variations.
 

I have always been a big fan of American sports like Football, Baseball and Basketball and therefore picked up on wearing the hats of some of my favorite local teams like the Supersonics (Rest in Peace), the Seahawks or the Mariners. Unfortunately I keep a lot of my older hats at my parents' house and therefore wasn't able to shoot all of them.

New Era x Solebox


Solebox is an institution in the German Sneaker community and has been holding the torch for Sneaker culture in Germany for over 10 years now. When I was 17 years old, I visited Berlin with some friends and had to check out the store in real life. During that time they had just released a collaboration with New Era and I was super stoked on the materials they used and the lowkey design on the top mixed with the bold golden satin used on the inside of the hat. This hat is still one of my favorite New Eras as the design is just impeccable. However I think that it did not really sell out as quickly as I thought back then, since they still offer it in their webshop today ;-)

New Era x Goods Seattle


These hats are another shop collaboration by New Era with Seattle's finest address when it comes to Streetwear: "Goods Seattle". They were definately at the forefront when it came to store collaborations back then and put out some serious heat when it came to Caps. My first hat that I bought there was the Stüssy x Goods x New Era collaboration that features the Stüssy skull mixed with the Goods font and a custom lining. Unfortunately, the hat is a little small for me so I don't wear it very often.

When I came back two years later, I got a second Goods hat featuring a golden G on the front which I honestly haven't really worn since then. I need to check out that store asap, as I somehow completely forgot about it.

New Era x Marc Jacobs:


As you have probably already figured out, I like to buy clothing whenever I travel or stay in different countries as this is my way of bringing back great memories. Every time I wear these pieces, I remember that cool summer back in the US or that trip to Berlin or the great visit to London. With this hat, I remember my Erasmus semester in Paris which was tons of fun and quite the exciting time. I had so much free time on hand to wander around Paris, checking out new trends and boutiques on the daily, that I can definately say that I know my way around the city now! This hat was a limited release between the Marc by Marc Jacobs brand and New Era which was only available at Marc Jacobs shops. I thought about getting the New York edition as well but instead went with two Paris hats because it's the perfect memorabilia for my stay there.



You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare

Popular Posts

recent posts